SEO: What is it, and why is it important?HexRowAdminLogin
The most challenging task in today’s business is to get continuous traffic. Amidst the cutthroat competition between online stores, brands want to leave no stone unturned for dominance. In such a situation, SEO has emerged as an efficient and cost-effective solution. The techniques of SEO are helping the websites to rank higher in search pages. Compared to paid ads, SEO is attracting better organic traffic. So, about 75% of the companies are relying on SEO to connect with the audience. If you are running an e-commerce store, Digital Business, Physical store, Insurance Agency, Real Estate then you must have adequate knowledge of SEO practices.
In this article, we are going to talk about how SEO functions actually. We will look at the various advantages of applying SEO tactics!
How SEO actually works?
Before heading to SEO measures, it is important for us to know the concept behind it. So, let us get started.
Search Engine Optimization refers to building a search engine friendly website. Because people get introduced to your website through Google only. Google has it’s own algorithms to sieve the most relevant website pages for people. Then it ranks the sites on the basis of a number of factors. If your site is not search engine friendly, it will index poorly and get shifted to lower ranks. And it is clear from surveys, that 75% of traffic is sucked up by the first search page only. The first organic result receives a grossing 28% clicks on it, whereas the CTR strikingly falls for the second and third results.
It is evident that a higher ranking can attract huge traffic. But what are the criteria on which google ranks the websites?
Google is known for changing it’s search engine algorithms from time to time. While ranking the pages, it gives more preference to older websites. So, it is very challenging for young websites to get much exposure. Very often, Google considers the keywords of the blogs, titles, tags to index the most informative pages. But search engines also punish the sites doing “keyword stuffing”. Because these sites don’t provide any value to the people. They trick Google to rank their pages by including a pile of keywords. These dishonest activities like keyword stuffing paid backlinks and spamming of content come under black hat SEO practices. If detected, Google rejects these websites for indexing. As a solution to this, Google now puts equal stress on the readability score of blogs. Search engines are filtering unique and helpful sites and displaying them at the top.
Google is also classifying the sites on the basis of highest click through rates. Because, higher CTR implies better value for the audience. Similarly links to a site can enhance it’s rank in SERPs. Especially, if your site has links from popular and dominating sites then your rank will be further higher. So, along with SEO content, your site should have plenty of backlinks!
Google has some more criteria for ranking webpages like compatibility with mobiles and faster loading speed. This way it is encouraging the publishers to improve the consumer experience. Decent web design will surely help you climb the ranks.
On Page SEO and Off Page SEO-
On page SEO comprises of the utilisation of keywords in a single web page.
- One important place where we forget to put keywords is meta descriptions. This description is visible on the search result page below the website link or URL. It should be crafted within 300 words along with relevant keywords.
- Alt texts also need to be optimised by SEO. Because, they denote the image files in a page. Use of keywords will help them to get indexed by web crawlers.
- The heading which appears in the search page is called the H1 tag. You need to use specific keywords here too.
- On-page SEO also involves adjusting font and image size, fixing bugs and decreasing the number of redirects.
Off page SEO means what can you do outside your website to improve your ranking. It includes building backlinks through blogs, guest posts and affiliate marketing. Links can also be shared through social media handles.
What are the advantages of SEO?
Let us summarise the far-fetching benefits of SEO under a few headings-
- You get qualified traffic– SEO takes your content to the genuinely needy customers. These people are actually searching for services under your niche. Without SEO, your website is not targeted and the bounce rate is higher. With a qualified audience, you can be more focussed in your business campaign.
- SEO fuels Conversion- It is necessary that you use keywords related to buyer intent. Because, when a customer has made the buying decision, he will type the long-tail keywords on the search box. And your website is more likely to appear. Well organised SEO content can impress customers and convince them to purchase your products. Hence, SEO can boost your conversions.
- SEO can improve brand authority- When your SEO updated website is displayed at the top of the SERPs, people believe that your store is capable of delivering exceptional services. So, they stop visiting other links. There are namely two types of authority- Domain authority and Page authority. Your site can gain this title by employing on page and off page SEO.
- Economical strategy- Though SEO doesn’t give real quick results like paid ads and sponsored campaigns, it is worth of a long term investment of efforts. Once you reach the top position on the SERPs, a constant flow of traffic is ensured. You don’t have to spend much of your capital in shaping the SEO.
We hope that this article solved all your queries regarding SEO. Now, it is your turn to learn the lessons and put into action. So, follow the given techniques and get your desired flow of traffic.